The Melissa Linville Criminal Justice Scholarship
This scholarship is named in memory of Melissa M. Linville, a former beloved Crimcheck team member and friend, in order to honor and extend her legacy of charity, good works, and selflessness. During her life, Melissa touched countless lives through her service and compassion to others, her sincerity of heart, and the joy she brought to everyone surrounding her.
Crimcheck is honored to announce the 2020 recipient of the Melissa L. Linville Criminal Justice Scholarship. The 2020 scholarship was awarded to two recipients, Maya P. from Vancouver, Washington and Maya G. from Los Angeles, CA.
This scholarship was established for two purposes: to foster and support education leading towards a Criminal Justice career path and to reward deserving applicants who are excellent representatives of this field. The 2020 scholarship was awarded to two recipients, Maya P. and Maya G.
Maya was born with disabilities that later in life, affected her education. She received mentorship from a special education teacher who taught her to work with her disabilities and advocate for herself with her teachers. Even during middle school, with help from her mentor, she was able to move from an F student to honor roll. She has seen what a great role advocacy can make in a person’s life.
Now, Maya is majoring in Criminology. She has come to believe that people in the prison system often have problems with learning disabilities. She believes that she can combine her interest in law enforcement with her personal experience in special ed to create programs that can be used in these types of communities and schools. She plans to further her career in the interest of kids, crime and learning disabilities and use what she learns to make changes for the good.
Crimcheck offers an annual $500 scholarship award to a student who is currently enrolled, or recent high school graduates who are pursuing post-secondary education with the goal of a career in the criminal justice field. Established in 2014, this award recognizes outstanding achievements in academics as well as a desire to make a positive difference in the world.
This scholarship is open to:
- Students who are currently enrolled in post-secondary education or high school seniors/recent high school graduates who are pursuing post-secondary education in the criminal justice field
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must be full time or part time student enrolled in classes for the current year
What Are We Looking For?
Crimcheck will review essays for the following :
- Ambitiousness and desire to be a part of the Criminal Justice field
- Demonstration of knowledge and commitment to a career in the criminal justice field
- Demonstration of leadership and willingness to learn
Criteria & How to Apply
- To be considered, the following MUST be submitted together:
- Your name, email & phone number
- Transcript of proof of enrollment
- 1-2 page essay
- Applications must include a 1-2 page essay that includes a description of:
- the applicant’s ambition and goals in the criminal justice field
- their reason for choosing a career in the criminal justice field
- long term goals and how the scholarship will help meet those goals
- All applications must be submitted to Scholarship @ Crimcheck.com (no spaces, click the link) by August 1, 2021
- Winner will be selected on August 15, 2021